Luxury, Innovations and Technology Insights – Helicopter Edition
As part of our initiative to spread the knowledge we’ve acquired, we bring you the Helicopter Edition. (In case you missed the introduction here is the link)
- If the helicopter’s engine fails, the pilot can start a control descent which uses the air coming up to turn the rotors, allowing him to look for a flat area and land the helicopter.
- Helicopter passengers receive an equipment, safety, and emergency briefing before flying.
- Helicopters can hover, fly horizontally and vertically.
- Helicopters can be used as ambulances to carry patients, or as fire trucks to put out large fires, additionally they can be used to move supplies and carry large objects, and rescuing people (The first helicopter rescue occurred in 1944). Television and radio stations may use helicopters for news reporting, they can also be used by the police or by people on vacation.
- Pilots have reported been hired for odd jobs, here’s an example: drying the grass on a golf course due to heavy rains.
- The world’s fastest helicopter record is held by the Sikorsky X2 at 258 mph (416 kph).
- The longest distance traveled by a helicopter without landing is reported at 3562 km.
- NASA is studying ways to land a helicopter on mars.
Until next time,
The Big Boys Toys Team